Monday, January 18, 2010

Funnel Cake Delight

Do you remember growing up, and there being that one food that you would just beg and beg and beg your mother for or ask her to make you a homemade one?? That one food that would just make your mouth water every time you saw it? Well for me, that was a good 'ol fashioned funnel cake! I seriously could probably eat two in one sitting (I'm not ashamed!). Well while I was at the grocery store over the weekend, I happened to park in spot I don't usually park in, outside Pharroh's. It's this hot dog/custard/now serving FUNNEL CAKES kinda place. I think my face must have lit up like a 2 year old when I saw that big banner hanging in the front window that said "now serving Funnel Cakes"!!! I was good and passed on it this weekend, but that's only because I treated myself to a Cook-Out milkshake instead...but there is always next weekend. Looks like I won't be having to wait for October to roll around when the State Fair greets us again, I can pretty much drive right across the street from my house. Now that's scary...


Rachel Ray's Funnel Cake Recipe:

Ingredients:
3 cups vegetable oil
4 cups flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups milk
3 large eggs
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions:
1) In a deep medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it registers 350° to 375° on a deep-fat thermometer.

2) Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add the milk and eggs; whisk until smooth.

3)Transfer the batter to a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, remove the excess air and seal the top. With scissors, snip off a corner to make a 1/4-inch-wide hole. Carefully squeeze about 1 cup batter (one-eighth of the mixture) back and forth into the oil, making a free-form lacy web. Cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, turn the cake over and cook until golden on the other side, about 1 minute more. Transfer the funnel cake to paper towels to drain briefly. Repeat with the remaining batter.

4)Dust the funnel cakes with confectioners' sugar and serve hot. Smart move: To avoid messy spills between frying each batch, set the bag of batter, slit side up, in a bowl next to the stovetop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friends! I'd love to hear from you!!